Thursday, April 15, 2010

Technical Writing Notes

This class was different than what I expected. I came into the class thinking I could write memos and documents since this was my job for more years then I want to mention. Each week I found out there was room for improvement. When I look back over the first memos and compare them to the recent work there is a noticeable difference. The detail and clarity of the message has improved. I can include more information in fewer words. I am sure there will be fewer follow up questions on future work related memos.

Instead of focusing on writing projects targeted at useless tasks we wrote documents with meaning. Having a project that lasts for weeks with required periodic updates is typical of workplace writing. Having to do a major project with other team members happens often. Working with a great group that is eager and open to constructive feedback, like I had, is rare.

Learning about target audience, rhetoric, and structure have helped improved my ability to communicate with others. The biggest problem I had was email communication. The things learned applying these concepts writing memos can be applied to email writing with the same effective results.

Blogging was the most difficult part of the class. Writing something to post for all to read was a little intimidating at first. I found it harder to write my post after reading the posting of others. I wanted to make sure my posting was as good as the post of others in the class, so the pressure was on. More pressure was added making sure I stayed original while the posting of others was in the back of my mind.

I feel I the class was worth the time, money, and effort. With the class experience being so different than my expectations I ended up learning more than I thought possible.

No comments: